Saturday, September 26, 2009

Collection of little things

It feels like a Fall night out there, a little Libra waiting behind the tree limbs, ready to replace the green with scarlet with irreproachable charm. The wind played tag through the tree tops, even delighting in a quick burst round our heads to ruffle hair and newly arranged coats. Around a table occupied by the first serious stew, I put down my stake for a new way of life, a new chapter beginning, one where I explore my compassion for my fellow men. That night, a familiar dream came, though a bit altered. Once again loose teeth were removed, and three sets came and went. It feels almost like a personal version of the seven fat cattle and seven lean cattle dream of the pharaoh; get ready Little Fish, things are about to change.

“And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” This rung in my heart today, as if now it was time to pose the question to myself: what have you given to those who need it most? I have a little dream in my heart, and this has outpaced the pain, has flavored the living in a splash of rose water, has tidied down the little ship of my being for sailing. A little dream; all I could ask for.

Where I hope to grow, I have to let others grow, too. Where I want help, I have to give it first. It’s sometimes hard to remember when a protective fear would like to build barricades around a little happiness; like a miser, like a dragon laying on his hoard, burying the treasure deep within his skin instead of spreading it for help and beauty. First sow, then reap, first give, then receive, first honor what is positive around me, then build a little dream of my own.

1 comment: