Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Help in being

I felt today that the understanding between people is a gift during our stay on earth, so that we might not feel so alone trapped inside our heads, so that we might experience here a bit of the connectedness that streams through all Creation, so that here in this life we might understand that our world extends far beyond the reach of our thinking and doing. These people are friends of the heart, they are family, they are the beloved who has found you on just the right point of the path.

When I turn to see my time on earth as just the smallest event in my existence, I also see with greater clarity, with greater kindness and freedom, the better way to relate to people. The ruddy circumstances of this life aside, what is it about the person before me that I cherish? What would endure the passage of time and space, and remain undimmed and waiting to be cultivated? Pieces of home, I could list them on open fingers, the ones who have helped by simply existing alongside, nearby, or far from me. Tentitively, I reach for the space between two people, the space which has changed to something independant of its participants, the space that would not have been otherwise formed, and which enriches life like swirls of dense flavor streaked through piled rice. My hundred threads upward were so completely and simply twirled into a steady rope by my dear friend that I embraced his proposal and became his wife. How easy it is to be furthered by those you trust, when suddenly you remember to trust them.

No comments:

Post a Comment