Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Loom

The Sun is spilling down her great mantle over the opposite side of the valley, covering our little farm in velvet softness. The trees disappear into their commune with the rest of the forest and will wait to be awoken into stark contrast with the rising of tonight's full Moon. The great Wheel of Nature is spinning and clicking its innumerable cogs all around me; light and dark, birdsong and rising wind, growing grass and skittering clouds. Today I felt with daring clarity the weight of choice. I, the human being, in contrast to the harmonious working of the Earth, sense the pull of my own free volition as if it were the ebb and flow of waves against stationary ankles. I have chosen many things - some irrespective of gentle urgings I can only begin to recognize in retrospect. A picture of clouds, and I am transported back to a key decision I didn't know I was making at the time. Here, in front of me and around me, is built the physical earthly consequences of that choice and many others.

I'm beginning to be comfortable with not always choosing correctly, with just choosing what I can in each moment. This is a major step, I feel, in accepting that my existence bridges many diverse states of being; from this Earth, to the beyond, back to Earth, all along a long winding path toward home. Winding, repeating, weaving. Each decision reinforcing or destabilizing the pattern of the road before my feet, the road I weave just moments before I walk it. Responsibility. They are my own two feet, and no doubt they will register the quality of the path my choices have formed. Nature and Creation the steadfast loom, the perfect instrument we are granted to use, the constancy of which to measure our craft against. Day to night, night to day, and choice to choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment